Clearance of Imported Goods through Customs
- A Direct Trader Input (DTI) Centre at GRA headquarters has been established to allow clearing and forwarding agents to have direct access to the customs system called ASYCUDA in order to register their declarations. ASYCUDA connection is also provided to operators/Agents who have internet facilities at their office premises. All border stations are connected to the ASYCUDA automated system. Declaration processing clearance through customs can be done within 24hrs
- Freight forwarders, clearing agents, Importers, Exporters, Transit agents and shipping agencies have to apply to become ASYCDA users, using the prescribed form.
- After declaration input, a printed copy is submitted to the appropriate customs office for processing.
- At the processing stage the ASYCUDA system selects the declaration for examination which can be physical, documentary or be exempted from examination according to the selectivity criteria applied for the declaration being processed.
- After the completion of the examination, the system calculates and assesses the duty to be paid.
- Payment of duties and taxes can be done either at the GRA Customs Offices, GRA Partnered Commercial Banks or the (Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) system using Commercial Banks
- Tariff Classification rates and taxes are applied according to the different schedules of the Customs Act 2010.